- Fiscal Responsibility
- The City needs to stop spending more than it takes in.
- Raising taxes to pay for new services is overly burdensome on low-income homeowners throughout the City
- Focus on Core Competencies of City Government:
- The City cannot tax its way to prosperity. Until we are fiscally solvent, we should not be adding new services that further exacerbate the problem.
- Until the City has enough money to be fiscally solvent, the focus of City Government should be in providing services such as police, fire, water, and sanitation services. Until these core areas of City Government are sufficiently funded and managed, the City should not be taking on new projects that are a net drain of resources.
- Reform Property Tax Exemptions
- Large non-profit institutions, such as Syracuse University and SUNY Upstate, are completely exempt from property taxes. We are subsidizing their local services through our property taxes. Although this is a function of state law, we should be pushing to reform state law so that these institutions pay the same property taxes the rest of us pay.